Thursday, August 02, 2012

August Update

Hanging at Sophia's (he calls her Fifi)

The year is flying by. FLYING BY. I swear I blink and its already the weekend. We have been busy hanging out with friends, going for walks and bike rides, and working on the house. Coen is getting bigger and his kid personality is shining through. He loves to do things by himself and is actually getting more coordinated to them well. 

Mmmm, Oh-me! (oatmeal)

He has been eating about 90% of what we do without needing food packs or something else to supplement. Every time I make something and think, 'Coen won't eat this', he surprises me and eats all his food and seconds! He has been eating meat for the first time really ever. Loves turkey bacon, bbq chicken and sausages of any kind. I cooked some jalapeno bratwurst this week...chowed down. Thanks to Costco, we have been gorging on strawberries, blueberries, grapes and watermelon. The boy hasn't met a fruit he didn't like.  Currently his favorite veggie is zucchini. Maybe because we have received a ton from friendly gardeners. Pan fried in evoo, are his fav.


We've been to many play groups recently and have been having fun with our friends. Coen is starting to be able to play WITH kids, instead of just playing along side them. He actively wants to play cars together, build things and read books with his friends. He is SO affectionate with them too. Lots of hugs and kisses from Coen. Sometimes I have to remind him that not everyone wants hugs, and to try and ask first. Maybe he will get this concept soon, because he has met with occasional resistance from kids who don't know him (even some that do). I can imagine a thick looking boy running up and trying to wrap his arms around your neck...can be a little intimidating. Haha. I am proud that my little monster shows great effort (for the most part) in being gentle and not be physical when he is upset or angry. 

Callahan and Coen 

"Cone" and "Fifi"



Brodie has been working on a play area for Coen along the side of our house. We are SO EXCITED!! It's looking great and we are really enjoying working on things outside together. So far our planting box is another area to play in the dirt with trucks. He isn't tall enough to climb out yet...yet. He did recently learn how to open the back gate. While this is fun for him and Jackson, I haven't been able to let him just roam the yard while I do stuff outside and he is by it.

Helping Dad with the planting box.

We are so happy the boy seems to finally enjoy his sleep at night. He has been working towards this since he was a year. This month he has been totally consistent (sleeping 12 hrs with no wake ups) and its been awesome for Brodie and I. For the first time in 20 months we are considering leaving the boy overnight with Gma and Gpa. All we need is a plan and we are ready!

His favorite phrases are "Oo-see-ya?" and "Wassat?" (You see it and What's that). Both are said all slurred together. He also says Hiyo and See Ya now instead of just Hi and Bye. No new stats to report :)





1 comment:

Laura Stenquist said...

Oh my! Adorable picture of Coen in the swing! :)