Thursday, December 06, 2012

TWO YEARS OLD!!!


Eek! The boy turned two a few days ago. I cannot believe how quickly life goes with an toddler! It amazes me everyday when I sit and think about how different he was last year. Heck, how different he was just a few months ago! My loud little boy. I love him! Coen is so much personality in a toddler size package. He is the entertainment in our house :) Big on adventure and curious about how things work. He is a little kid!



Last month we decided to go diaper free the week before we had an away game (and could stay home). Well...we never looked back! We had been "playing" with going potty for a few months now. He would sit on it fully clothed, and sometimes he would sit without a diaper and go. It took 2 days of using a timer, and running around nekkid, before he quickly got the concept of what we were doing. By day 3, we were more on a schedule of reminders (before brkfst/nap/going outside). By week 1, he only had an accident those first days! However, while he totally gets the concept...its the mechanics we are working on. He can almost get his pants down himself, but hardly in time to go :) I hadn't factored in potty training when buying him pants and jeans. Zippers and buttons suck for little chubby fingers. Luckily he'd rather run around in his little boxers at home. Haha. He still wears a pull-up for naps/nighttime,. I figured night training would require us moving him into a toddler bed and out of the crib. I am not really a fan of that yet, since he sleeps so well and doesn't have any problems being in it. Its been a month now and he is doing so well! He has recently discovered peeing standing up outside and is a big fan. Hahahaha, he had his first emergency pull the car over to pee and was so proud of himself. "Tonan pee pee outside!" I heard this the entire car ride home.



His language skills have really come in. He definitely needs a translator at times, but he is clearly trying to put his thoughts into words. He will babble and then will clearly spout out a full sentence. Pronunciation is something we are working on! He loves to list off all the things he sees when we are on a walk or in the car. When he gets bored of that he lists off all the people in our families. Seems most of the older men are all Papa "so-and-so". Only Brodie's dad is just Papa. He is full of funny toddler perceptions and is so fun to "talk" with. He isn't always using his pronouns yet and still refers to himself in 3rd person. It sure is cute to hear though!

For his birthday we got him a bunch of new puzzles (which he loves to do), my playgroup and I made him a quiet book, and he got lots and lots of cars. LOTS OF CARS. Previously he had 8 that I could keep track of, since he knew each one. He opened up his present and there were 30 new ones. He has a case with slots to put them in. This has already proved to be hours of fun for our budding ocd toddler. Hahaha. I know he doesn't really have ocd. Coen loves to "play" by sorting and stacking. He gets pleasure out of seeing everything in its proper place. The boy is a big fan of lining things up and does it all around the house. I asked him to pick up his room before nap time and I go in to all his big trucks lined up in front of his toy box and every book in a big stack. After opening all his presents HE picked up all the trash and then lined up his balloons. I know its partly just good habits he is learning, but partly maybe his own personality coming out.


Aaaa-chooooo!

LOVES walking Jackson. Jackson has been so good with it too.
We've been playing at home a lot and running around getting ready for the rest of the holidays coming up. He hasn't had a big chance to play with his friends in our playgroup. The times he has he has been so excited to see and play with his "frens" (friends). Coen is about 6 or so months younger than most of the "bigger" kids. He has a few friends with birthdays around his time, but most of the kids are older or 6+ months younger. This has never been a issue for him, and has proved to be a great help in his development. With our limited outings, I've been watching him grow in his "playing with others". The 2 1/2 and 3 yr olds are big into imaginary play and Coen is right there trying to figure it out too. The girls had a tea party going on and Coen sat and just watched what they were doing. After they moved on to something else, he went around to all the moms serving them "hot foffy" in little cups. Bringing around the teapot for more. Hahaha. 

I'm a big boy wearing Daddy's shoes :) 
all in a row

Make a wish!
He knows all his #s, letters, colors and shapes. So far he recognizes only his first name written out, but I think Mama and Dad aren't far behind. He wears 3T and size 8 shoe. He sleeps 12hrs a night and takes a 2-3hr nap during the day. I never have to fight him to eat or drink water/milk, he is a stud in that department. Coen loves different flavors and will usually try anything we are eating at least once.

He has been such a blessing to us, and I can't imagine a life without my crazy, affectionate and loving little monster!

Weight: 34lbs 93%
Height: 35.5-36 inches (couldn't get an accurate reading with the new standing up way) 90%

Coen's Favorites at age 2:
Favorite foods: Pesto pizza, spinach quesadillas, strawberries and grapes. 
Favorite toys: Anything with wheels, his "duck" family, playing with his "monies"
Favorite buddy: Sleeps with Jacksy Puppy, and alternates Elmo/Abbie/Ernie/Bert
Favorite words: NOT! :)
Favorite songs: Stevie Wonder's "Living for the City" and Wheels on the Bus-

Coen last year :)


1 comment:

Laura Stenquist said...

Happy Birthday buddy! Such a big boy!